British satirists are reacting to the Brexit vote with mostly dismay, doomsday scenarios — and a new head of hair (“leave” campaigner Boris Johnson’s). But we wondered what cartoonists outside of Britain were drawing. A number of themes have emerged.
1. David Cameron, you are so outta here!
2. We’re an island, we’ve always been an island, and darn it, we’ll be just fine on our own, thank you very much!
3. Did I hear that right? You’re actually leaving? What?
4. The idea that Brexit spells peril for the fate of the European Union.
5. Don’t even think about it!
6. The Monty Python reference (via Barry Blitt)
— The New Yorker (@NewYorker) June 24, 2016
7. Brexit, schmexit! We know what this is really about.
Carol Hills runs The World’s satire desk, as well as the Twitter feed @globalcartoons.